Modern medieval illumination / Nowoczesna iluminacja średniowieczna

Yes, you know that I'm interested in medieval art. But what you don't know is that the art above comes from XX century. And was created by the artist from my very own city, Lodz.
O tym, że interesuję sie sztuką średniwieczną oczywiście wiecie. Ale nie wiecie, że sztuka prezentowana powyżej pochodzi z XX wieku. I że została stworzona przez artystę z mojego rodzinnego miasta, Łodzi.
The name of the artist is Artur Szyk. Worldwide known artist, totally unknown here. He was a Polish Jew born in 1894 in Lodz. You can read about his interesting life HERE and see some more of his art HERE. For me, the most fascinating in Szyk's art is the way he used "medieval language" - illumination to talk about contemporary problems. And the problems he was concerned the most were the serious ones.
Artsyta nazywa sie Artur Szyk. Światowej sławy, u nas praktycznie nieznany. Był polskim Żydem urodzonym w 1894 roku w Łodzi. Więcej o jego ciekawym życiu można przeczytać TUTAJ, a TU można zobaczyć część jego prac.Dla mnie, najbardziej fascynujący w sztuce Szyka jest sposób użycia tego "średniowiecznego języka" jakim jest iluminacja do mówienia o problemach współczesnych. A problemy, którego jego interesowały najbardziej zaliczały, się do tych najpoważniejszych.
I learned about Artur Szyk six years ago. So why am I talking about him today? Because yesterday I was lucky to see wonderful exhibitions of his works! Right now, there's Lodz of Four Cultures Festival going here and for me this exhibition was the most awaiting event. 
The exhibition lasts till the 16th of October, so probably I will go there again. But even if not - I've got a beautiful catalog, the source of my pictures.
Ja o Arturze Szyku pierwszy raz usłyszałam sześć lat temu. Dlaczego wobec tego mówię o nim akurat dzisiaj? Ponieważ wczoraj miałam szczęście obejrzeć wystawę jego prac! Właśnie teraz mamy w Łodzi Festiwal Czterech Kultur i dla mnie najbardziej wyczekiwanym wydarzeniem była właśnie ta wystawa.
Wystawa potrwa do 16. października, więc prawdopodobnie jeszcze ją odwiedzę. A jeśli się nie uda - mam przepiękny katalog, z którego pochodzą dzisiejsze zdjęcia.
And, just to make it a bit textile related, here is one of my old cards :)
A żeby wtrącić jakiś element tkaninowy, to na zakończenie moja stara karteczka :)

Comments

I also love illuminated manuscripts and have been trying to find time to incorporate them into my pottery, but never seem to have time for experimentation. I have all the books and reference pictures, just need the TIME!
Przecudne ilustrację :)

Pozdrawiam :)
Bo said…
piekne ilustracje

swietnie oddalas klimat swoja praca

Popular posts from this blog

Botanical laces / Botaniczne koronki

The hen in troubles

Spring is coming to the kitchen