Dragons story continued / Smoczej historii ciąg dalszy

My latest dragon comes not from my mind but from Polish folklore. You see that he isn't that nice and friendly as his former colleagues.
Mój najnowszy smok nie pochodzi z mojej głowy ale wprost z naszego folkloru i to z wysokiej półki. Nie jest jednak taki przyjacielski jak jego poprzednicy.
In fact he is fighting with St George.
Walczy - ze św. Jerzym.
And I didn't invent him, I used a template, but what a template it is!
Nie wymyśliłam go, użyłam szablonu, ale jakiego!
The model dragon is painted on the wall of a little Medieval church in a small mountain village Dębno. The church is on the heritage list because of the well preserved original medieval wall polychromy. I have never been there but... received this wonderful gift::
Ten smok pochodzi ze słynnego średniowiecznego kościółka w Dębnie. Sama tam nie byłam, ale dostałam fantastyczny prezent na jego temat:
It is a very well done documentation (with iconography!) of this church written and drawn by our famous folklorist Stanisław Barabasz (I've got some more of his works about folk art in the mountain area). That's where I learned the detailed story of the church and its decorations. And when I read about anonymous painters who wandered  in 15th century from village to village with their templates, looking for a wall to decorate and when I found a dragon in those templates I had to recreate it in textile.
To jedna z wielu teczek Stanisława Barabasza, badacza i dokumentalisty podhalańskiej sztuki ludowej, w całości poświęcona temu kościołowi. I gdy tylko przeczytałam o XV-wiecznych bezimiennych malarzach, którzy chodzili ze swoimi szablonami od wsi do wsi w poszukiwaniu miejsc do udekorowania i w dodatku zobaczyłam szablon smoka - musiałam uszyć swoją tkaninową wersję.
It is wooden church and the colors of the painted walls are still vivid. That's why I decided to place my dragon in rich and colorful setting.
Kościół jest drewniany, a polichromie wciąż żywe, więc i ja umieściłam smoczysko na kolorowej scenie.
 If you want to see some process picture, please visit the other blog of mine HERE.
And I'm going back to my more peaceful fantasy dragons.
Po więcej zdjęć z procesu szycia zapraszam do drugiego blogu TUTAJ  (niestety tylko po angielsku).
A ja wracam do moich mniej walecznych smoków lubiących kwiatki.

Comments

Unknown said…
Героический сюжет! Интересен процесс создания. Спасибо!
Hafciarka said…
coś niesamowitego! jest pod ogromnym wrażeniem!
Mania said…
Zajrzałam na drugiego bloga i dopiero mi dech zaparło ! Piękna praca Bożenko !
Małgosia M.
Debbie said…
Love it, Bozena!
Jackie PN said…
Another beautiful dragon piece Bozena.
I absolutely appreciate your sharing the background history with us. That church looks wonderful and I love the shape of those arches.
Thank you for sharing your beautiful textile art with us!
love to you,
Jackie xx
jenclair said…
Beautiful! Thanks for including the information about the church, which adds so much to the history. The colorful background is perfect, and I love the detail of the beads. :)
Anonymous said…
so colorful and details great, keep doing!

Popular posts from this blog

Botanical laces / Botaniczne koronki

The hen in troubles

Spring is coming to the kitchen